Another non-Hylian thing… I promise I will get around to some more Zelda items soon… I was just too pleased with myself for coming up with this idea, so I had to make it. ^__^
As you must already know, Jake is the raddest shape-shifter out there, with the possible exception of Nimona. And there are lots of awesome Jake-shaped things out there, tables and phone protectors etc etc. When my mom got two of these chairs for my kid, it was an instant brainwave.
Steps for the chair (sorry, no pictures for this part…. I don’t know why):
1. If your chair is SO OLD that the original finish has pretty much completely peeled off, congratulations! You don’t need to sand. Also, if you don’t really care too much about the final results, you don’t need to sand either. For this particular project, I didn’t care (bringing it to life was more important than how well it turned out), but for the Fluttershy chair (post forthcoming) I did, so I sanded that one.
2. Prime the chair. I used to do oil painting on canvas, so I have a giant jar of Gesso, and it worked fine.
3. Paint it yellow (I was able to use leftover yellow from the boss key chest which I mixed with some orange to get that perfect schoolbus/Jake colour).
3.5 Decide whether you want perfect coverage or not. Because I was mixing colours
like a boss by adding the orange directly onto the chair, it turned out a little streaky, and I decided I liked that because it gives the impression of dog fur 😀
4. When the paint is dry, get child to test the chair:
For the cushion:
1. Remove the old cushion cover and use it to measure your new fabric:
2. Pin the new fabric, using the old cover for reference.
3. Sew it all up and then realize that you should have embroidered the Jake face first, because embroidering this thing in July is ridiculously hot – you have your hands stuck inside a fleece pillowcase, basically.
4. Print out Jake’s face in the size you want, and Photoshop out some of the black in his eyes and nose to be eco-friendly and save ink.
5. Find some black and white fabric around the house. Bonus points for recycling: I used t-shirts from community events – the type of shirt that no one wears after the event, and thrift shops get stuck with because no one buys them. Actually, I buy them when they come in fun colours, because I can use the part of the material that doesn’t have anything printed on it.
CAUTION: t-shirts are knit, so they fray and lose ridiculous amounts of thread around the edges when they’re cut. There are little bits of black fluff all over the yellow fleece, but I live in an apartment with a baby and two cats, so there being stuff on stuff just doesn’t phase me anymore~~
6. Find a way to trace the design onto the fabric, or just cut out the different shapes and play with placing them until you like the way it looks. Or until that voice inside says ‘meh, good enough’.
This was my first attempt at satin stitch. I have seen so many delicious pictures of satin stitch on Pinterest. I covet satin stitching. But at this point in my life, I can’t be bothered to do it properly. I didn’t do the padding inside, so it’s flat. Plus fleece and t-shirts are pretty hard to embroider… Anyway, you can see where I started on the right side of the left eye below:
Looks kinda terrifying with the pins through the eyes 😀
The stitches are not very even…. this probably sounds blasphemous to anyone who knows what they’re doing with a needle and thread, but I may go back with a black marker and even out the stitches that way….
And here it is finished. I did satin stitch all the way around the white parts, and that made it look pretty pro, at least to me, so I slacked off with basically all the other stitches everywhere. Oh well!
When you’ve done as much as you feel like doing, take off the embroidery hoop and stick the cushion inside its new cover.
Here it is with the chair:
And here’s a slightly better shot: